Have you found that your Windows 10 Taskbar Not Hiding on your PC? How will you react if you come to know that the taskbar in Windows 10 can also be hidden by making use of some options and applying some changes? Yes, you heard it right, and it is possible. Most of the Windows 10 users are not aware of this fact, and they remain happy with whatever is offered to them by default. They never bother to make any change in the default settings, ignoring the benefits they may have if they make a little customization in these settings.
Hiding the taskbar of your desktop in Windows 10 will offer you the following benefits or advantages:
Neat And Clean Desktop
When you somehow manage to hide the taskbar from your desktop, your desktop becomes more neat and clean. It looks better than before.
Extra Space On Desktop
Moreover, if there is no taskbar on your desktop, you will have some extra space on it. The desktop will look bigger and spacious.
PS: here are the best solutions for issues like Bad system config info Windows 10, Your Windows license will expire soon, as well as The Windows installer service could not be accessed with iTunes.
Process To Hide Taskbar In Windows 10
If you have ever used the previous versions of Windows and used the options of hiding the taskbar in those versions, there is a piece of good news for you. The taskbar hiding options have not changed in this version also. You can easily find the option by going to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar, as explained below:
- 1. First, open the “Settings” app in Windows 10 and click on “Personalization.”
- 2. Once the Settings app dialog box opens up, you will find the following two options over there along with the other options available:
- Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode
- Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode
These two options control the taskbar auto-hiding functionality. If you are using PC, you can control the functionality by the first option. On the other hand, the second option works for devices like tablets.
Now, you must be thinking about what exactly these options do. Okay, let me make it clear to you. When you enable any of these two options given in the Settings for controlling the taskbar auto-hiding functionality, the taskbar on your desktop will be hidden automatically but not permanently. It will appear again if you move your cursor over the area where the taskbar lies and will disappear again when you move away.
Windows 10 Taskbar Not Hiding?
There are times when some people have to face an issue with the auto-hiding functionality of the taskbar. Although Windows 10 is an operating system that comes with an in-built super-advanced technology and the functionality is going to work very well, yet you may have to face such an issue that the taskbar won’t hide anymore. It might occur due to the following reasons:
1. Some Programs Require Your Action
If there is an app or program which is active and requires you to take some action, the taskbar will have to appear temporarily to show that notification. For examples, there are times when you receive a new message, emails, etc.; and sometimes, some operations that you have started reach their completion stage. In such cases, the icon of the program will flash to make you know that it needs some interaction from your end.
But this kind of appearance of the taskbar is temporary. Once you click that program icon to confirm that you are aware of the notification, the taskbar will be hidden again, and the functionality will start running normally.
2. Background Apps Need Your Actions
Apart from the desktop programs and apps, there are also some background apps which might require some actions from your end. And, it might also cause a temporary issue in the smooth functionality of the taskbar auto-hiding feature.
Windows 10 Taskbar Not Hiding Yet?
As I mentioned earlier also, the functionality can start working normally once you pay attention to the app or program which needs your attention and confirm that you have noted it. But what if there are no such notifications and the apps are silent; still the taskbar is not hiding anymore? In that case, you can fix the issue by restarting the Explorer process. Follow the steps given below:
- 1. First, open the “Windows Task Manager” (by using a shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc).
- 2. You will see the list of basic processes only if you have not previously clicked on the “More Details” button provided at the bottom. The Windows Explorer process is not available there in this list. Hence click on the “More Details” button to open the full list including all of the other processes, including the needed one (Windows Explorer).
- 3. Once you have the full list of process opened in front of you, find out the “Windows Explorer” process in the list and click on it by the right mouse button.
- 4. When you right-click on the “Windows Explorer,” a list of options will open up. Click on the “Restart” option which will restart the process.
Once you have implemented the above mentioned resolving methods if the issue still persists and the Windows 10 taskbar is not hiding anymore automatically, you should try the following two actions:
- You should again check whether the preferences for hiding the taskbar automatically are still enabled.
- Click anywhere on your desktop to check if the taskbar hides or disappear by doing so. This may prove to be useful because sometimes the taskbar doesn’t hide until you perform some action keeping your cursor away from the area (bottom part of the desktop) where the taskbar lies.
More Advanced Approach
There may be the cases when even after implementing all of the above-mentioned methods, the issue still remains unresolved. And, the Windows 10 taskbar is still not hiding automatically, what to do then? Just keep reading…
Whenever the reason for not hiding taskbar is the notification popping up in an application, it can easily be identified for the application whose icon is displayed. But sometimes, the problem lies in the applications with no displayed icons. In that case, you can resolve the issue using the following method:
- 1. Again go the taskbar preference by following Settings > Personalization > Taskbar.
- 2. Under the notification area, there is an option for “select which icons appear on the taskbar.” Click it to choose the desired option.
- 3. Choose the option “always show all icons in the notification area,” which will make all of the icons display in the notification area. Thus no icon will remain hidden anymore.
- 4. As all of the icons are displayed in one place, now you can easily identify which application is causing the taskbar not to hide automatically. Once you find the program icon which is causing the problem, click it to make the taskbar auto-hide again.
- 5. If still, the program keeps stopping the taskbar hiding regularly, you should disable the notification for that particular program or hide the program’s icon permanently by going to Settings > System > Notifications & actions.
Now you have finally found out which app is causing the problem. Now it’s up to you what to do with that. You can disable the notifications from the app so that it may not cause the taskbar to appear again to notify you or any other thing if you can do to deal with it.
Make Use of Group Policies Of Windows 10
As another method to control the notifications in order to fix the issue of the taskbar not hiding in Windows 10, you can make use of the Group Policies in Windows 10. In order to set the policies, you can follow the following steps:
- 1. First, you have to tap on the Windows-key.
- 2. Then you have to type gpedit.msc and press “Enter.”
- 3. Once you press the “Enter” key, the “Group Policy Editor” will open up.
Other Solution to Fix ‘Windows 10 Taskbar Not Hiding’
There is also a software which, if installed on the system, can facilitate you to hide the taskbar by using a hotkey easily. This program has been released by The Windows Club and made available for free of cost to the users. The program can run on Windows 7, 8 and 10. The shortcut to hide and unhide the taskbar with this program is “Ctrl-Esc.”
Final Words on Taskbar Won’t Hide in Fullscreen
As you are aware now that hiding the taskbar in Windows 10 is helpful in making your desktop neat and clean. It is the easiest way to accommodate more space in your desktop. And, you can easily enable the auto-hide functionality of the taskbar by using the method described earlier in this article. But sometimes, the taskbar won’t hide in fullscreen which may be frustrating. And, the problem persists even if you restart your computer several times. But don’t panic, you can apply the solutions mentioned above to check which works to resolve the issue for you. Although the methods mentioned above are directly applicable to Windows 10, yet you might try to apply them for the other versions of windows like Windows 7 and Windows 8.