If your ‘Roku remote not working,’ needless to say, how frustrating it can be. So, learning how to fix it as soon as possible is vital for any Roku user. Even if your Roku remote is working perfectly, it is handy to learn how to fix potential errors. So, if you are a Roku user, the fixes mentioned in this article will be very handy for you.
Roku remotes come in different models
There are different types of Roku remotes in the market, and they may have different types of issues. So, knowing the types of Roku remotes is important before fixing the potential errors.
Roku Standard remotes
Here are the Roku remotes that work based on IR technology.
- Roku LT
- Roku HD, XD, XDS
- Roku N1
- Roku 1
- Roku 2
- Roku 2 HD, XD, XS
- Roku 3
- Roku Express
- Roku Express+
Roku Advanced remotes (supports Voice, Gaming and Point Anywhere)
- Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600 and 3800)
- Roku Streaming Stick+
- Roku 4
- Roku Premiere
- Roku Premiere+
- Roku Ultra
- Roku 2 (Model 4210)
Fixes to try if your standard Roku remote not working
Now, in this section of the article, let’s learn what to do if your standard ‘Roku remote not working.’
- First, point your Roku remote towards the Roku box and start pressing the buttons. Keep looking at the Roku box while pressing those buttons. If you see that the status lights are flashing, that means your remote emits IR signals to the box. So, the issue is not with the remote but with the box itself. However, if the status light remains still, there is an issue with the remote.
- Check if there are any obstructions between the Roku box and the remote. As you may already know, IR signals cannot pass through solid objects, so the way must be clear. Otherwise, the remote will not send the signals properly. If there are any obstructions, just remove them and try to operate it once again.
- Keep your Roku remote right in front of the Roku box. Then, press any button and see what happens. If the batteries in the Roku remote are almost dead, the IR beam it emits will be too weak. As a result, it cannot reach the box. If the remote unit works when placed very close to the box, the problem is with the batteries. You should just replace them with new ones, and everything should work.
- You can also try the Roku mobile app and ensure which unit gives the problem. Here’s how to figure it out. If the Roku box cannot receive any signals, but the mobile app works fine, the remote is faulty. In this case, the remote must be replaced. Until then, you can use a borrowed remote.
However, if the box starts to detect the signals and status lights are flashing, the box is faulty. In this case, the best thing is to perform a factory reset on the Roku box. However, you should consider factory resetting as a last resort. It could be the last resort if the remote is working, but the box doesn’t respond. A factory reset becomes compulsory if the Roku box doesn’t respond to the Roku mobile app.
Fixes to try if an enhanced Roku remote not working
When it comes to enhances Roku remote controllers, the problems are somewhat complex than with the standard versions. In fact, they don’t use IR. Instead, they use Wi-Fi to connect with the Roku box. So, you must follow some additional steps to troubleshoot those enhanced versions of the Roku remotes. Mentioned below are the steps you should try if your ‘Roku remote not working.’
- First, you should try to pair the remote once again. To do this, you should simply remove the batteries of the Roku remote first. Then, you should turn off the Roku and leave them as they are for a couple of seconds. Then, you can switch on your Roku device. As the home screen appears, you can put the batteries back in remote. Then, you should press the pairing button and hold it until you see that the pairing light is flashing. This button can be found either underneath the remote or in the battery compartment, depending on the model. Wait for about 30 seconds, and you will see that the remote and the box is paired perfectly. You can now press the buttons of the remote and see if everything works fine.
- If the previous option doesn’t work, you can try to repair the device with a mobile app too. In certain cases, the Enhanced Roku remote is likely to stop pairing and begin to malfunction. If that is the case with you, you should resolve the issue with the Roku Controller app. You can access the Roku Settings menu on the app. Then, choose the option to pair a new remote. You can then repeat the pairing process we have already mentioned. Well, this process will refresh the Roku box and give it a fresh start. As a result, it will start to pair with the remote without any issue. In fact, Roku has all the features that are offered through the physical Roku remote. You can download the Roku app on Google Play Store and App Store as well.
Other solutions to try if your Roku streaming device is not working
Here are a couple of other solutions to try if your Roku streaming device is not working. These options may come in handy if your Roku device or the streaming stick has stopped working.
01. Check the HDMI connector (applicable to Roku Streaming Stick Only)
Your Roku streaming device is connected to the TV using an HDMI port. If you have plugged the device directly into the HDMI port of the TV, there can be some issues. In order to resolve this issue, you should get the HDMI extension provided for free by Roku. However, you must ensure that you have the serial number of Roku with you. In fact, the serial number can be found printed on a sticker on the device itself.
If it still doesn’t work, it is better to change the HDMI port you are using. That means you should just plug the Roku stick to a different HDMI port on the same TV.
Please note that changing your Roku stick to a different HDMI port can rest the Roku. However, it may be able to resolve the ‘Roku Remote Not Working’ issue by eliminating other potential errors as well.
02. Check if your network connection works properly
Your Roku device will be connected to at least one network. This is true no matter whether you use a Roku player or a Roku streaming stick.
When it comes to Roku players, they have both wired and wireless connections in most cases. However, Roku sticks work solely based on wireless connectivity. If your Roku remote doesn’t work by now, you should download the app and check the settings.
- On the Roku menu, you should scroll down to the option called “Settings” and tap on “OK.”
- Then, tap the option labeled “Network.”
- You can then tap the option called “About.” Towards the right-hand side, you can see the option called “Status.” If the “Status” is “Connected,” you can be sure that there is nothing wrong with the network.
Assume that the box responds to the Roku Controller App but doesn’t respond to the Roku remote. Also, assume that you have performed all those troubleshooting methods explained in this article. What if the Roku remote not working even after all those fixes? In that case, you will have to get a new remote somehow. You can either buy a new one or borrow a remote from a friend until then. It is always recommended to test the box with a different remote before purchasing a new one.
Conclusion on How to Fix ‘Roku Remote Not Working’
It is very difficult for Roku users to enjoy entertainment when the Roku remote starts to malfunction. Sometimes, the issue can be a very simple one, so it is always worth trying to fix it. Whenever you find out your Roku remote not working, you can try the fixes mentioned in this guide. If you know better and more convenient ways to fix it, please share your knowledge with us.