It is worth noting that all the geographical data that you save in Goggle Earth gets saved in a KML format. But how will you be able to open that KML file if you are using a GPS application or software that supports only GPX data? Here comes up a need to convert the KML to GPX format. Once it has been successfully converted into GPX format, there will remain no difficulty in opening that file in any GPS application or software you are using.
When it comes to the method to convert a file from KML to GPX format, there are many free converter software available out there. Below I have listed the best ones for you to have a quick look at.
Best Free KML To GPX Converter Software For Windows Computer
GpsPrune is actually a KML viewer that also allows the user to convert the KML file into GPX or the other formats like POV, TXT, SVG, and an image format as well. The file that you open in GpsPrune software can be visualized in the map provided by it. On the map provided to you, not only seeing but also adding or removing the coordinates is possible. And, the map can also be cached on your disk, which helps in making it work faster. In addition, there are many other useful options offered by the software.
- First, install Java on your computer. And then open the software.
- Once you are inside the program, import in it the KML file that needs to be converted into GPX format.
- After the file has been successfully imported, the software will show you the coordinates which you can easily edit in it. However, it will not be showing you these coordinates on a map. In case you want them to be shown on a map, you will need to enable it from the toolbar.
- Once you are done with the visualization and editing, you can export your KML file as a GPX file by using the “Export GPX” available in the “File” menu. You will be asked to select the location on your computer, where you want to save your exported file. Thus finally, you will end up finishing your KML to GPX conversion process. And it is done!
Also, if you are bothered with GPS signal not found 11 error, here is the best fix.
If you want to convert your file from KML to GPX format with a few clicks of the mouse, GPSBabel may be the software you are looking for. It is a feature-rich program that works on Windows and offers the facility to convert one format of GPS file into another for a very wide range of formats. But you will not be offered any map in this software. Hence, it is not possible to visualize and edit the KML file in it. It just offers the function of conversion, along with some extra options. The options like defining the line color, line width, drawing extrusion line, exporting placemarks, writing KML track, and many other options are there available in the software.
The program is very simple and easy to use. Just follow the steps mentioned below to convert your file from KML to GPS:
- First, download and install the software on your Windows PC. Once installed successfully, open the program.
- Once you are on the home screen of the program, go to the section of “Input” and locate the path to your KML file.
- Next, in the input file format, you should select the “Google Earth (Keyhole) Markup Language.”
- Next, you should hit the “Options” button in case you are also in need of specifying some parameters.
- The next step is to navigate to the “Output” section and specify the output format as “GPX XML.” Then click the “OK” button provided at the bottom. Once it is done, the conversion process will start. And, that’s all.
Also, here are the top GPX To KML converters for you.
3) ITN Converter
Another one of the best KML to GPX converter software that I would like to include in this list is the ITN converter. This program will let you import your KML file, and it will, then, show all the coordinates available in that file. And, the software also has a map in which all those coordinates will be visualized. Once you are able to visualize all the coordinates in the map, you can easily edit them, if you desire, with the use of the tools available in the software.
Apart from the facility to convert a file from KML to GPX format, the program also facilitates the conversion from one format of GPS file to another format. Moreover, it is also possible to convert a file from KML to various other types of GPX files. And, in order to make it possible for you to visualize the coordinates, the program offers a variety of maps.
You will need to follow the steps mentioned below in order to convert a file from KML format to GPX format with the use of the ITN Converter:
- First, download the software and install it on your PC or computer.
- Once you have successfully completed the installation process, open the program.
- Once you are on the home screen of the program, import the KML file that needs to be converted into GPX format.
- After you have successfully imported the file, the software you display a list of all the coordinates available in that file. And, those coordinates can be visualized in the map also.
- Further, you can also edit the coordinates if you want.
- Once you are done with everything, you can export the file to the desired file format (like GPX) by selecting the format from the drop-down menu displayed on the bottom part of the main interface and then hitting the “Export” button. And it is finally done!
4) KML/KMZ To GPX Converter
It is a dedicated program for converting files from KML to GPX format and is available on Windows PC or computer. It is easy to use. The software shows information like longitude detail, latitude, etc. And, it is also possible to edit the parameters like description, name, etc.
For you to be able to convert a KML file into GPX format, the following steps are needed to be performed:
- After installing the software on your computer, open it.
- With the use of the icon of the Google Earth, import into the program the KML file that you intend to convert into GPX format.
- Once the file has been imported successfully, it will display the list of the coordinates. You are also allowed to edit the parameters of coordinates if you need them.
- The next step is to click on the GPS icon (available in the toolbar) to start exporting the file from KML format to the GPX format. You will also be asked for the location where you would like to save the newly converted file. And, that’s all.
Last but not least is this Extra_POI_Editor, which is also free to use just like the other software mentioned above. It offers some advanced features and tools also, which will make you fall in love with it. With the use of this program, you can easily create, view, edit, and convert the KML, GPX, CSV, XLS, POI, and OV2 files. Apart from the conversion, both visualization and editing of the KML files are possible with this software.
Below I have explained the steps that you will need to follow in order to convert a file from KML to GPX format:
- First, install and launch the program on your Windows PC or computer.
- Once you are inside the software, the next step will be to navigate to the “File” menu and open the KML file that needs to be converted.
- Once the KML file has been opened, the program will display a list of the geographical data. You can edit these points and can also visualize them on the map provided at the bottom part of the interface.
- The next step is to navigate to the “File” menu and make use of the “Save As” option in order to export the KML file to the GPX format. Here, you will also be asked to specify the output file name and the location where it will be saved. And that’s all!
Final Words on KML to GPX Converters
All of the 5 KML to GPX converter software mentioned above are the hand-picked software. You can confidently choose any one of them and go-ahead to convert your KML files into GPX format.