Instagram parental controls are very handy when it comes to preventing kids from accessing inappropriate content. To find out how to set them up and protect your kids, please keep reading carefully.
An introduction to Instagram parental controls
Instagram is a unique type of social media platform which is launched back in 2010. Since then, this platform became exceptionally popular among users of all ages. It has over 1 billion monthly active users across the globe. Moreover, 500 million daily active users are there on this platform. As of today, more than 50 billion photos were shared across this wonderful platform. All those statistics explain the overall popularity of this platform.
Although Instagram is used by individuals of all age groups, it is particularly popular among teens. A large number of teens use Instagram to share various photos and videos among friends. In addition to that, they use this platform to communicate with their friends, thanks to its chat feature. The catch here is that some contents found on Instagram may not be appropriate for teens.
So, the chances are that your teen child can end up seeing or sharing some inappropriate content. If not, your kid can become vulnerable to shady individuals who have dangerous intentions. If you are a concerned parent, therefore, you should keep track of the Instagram activities of your kid. With that said, your kids will not show their Instagram activities willingly. Even if they do, you may not have enough time to keep track of all the activities. This is exactly when a handy feature like Instagram parental controls comes to play.
What should parents know about Instagram?
In fact, Instagram is a very popular platform, and its popularity is only likely to grow. In general, it’s accepted that a child should be at least 13 years old to use social media platforms. However, in reality, many kids tend to use social networking websites, even if they are too young for that. Their parents even don’t know about that. Even kids under ten use those apps. In fact, these kids are too young to use those platforms and realize potential threats. So, as a responsible parent, you must take necessary precautions to prevent potential disasters.
In a way, you cannot directly say that Instagram is an unsafe or harmful application for kids. However, as adults, we must pay the fullest attention to how our kids behave on Instagram. To give you a better idea about this platform, you can refer to the information provided below.
Pros of Instagram
- Teenagers can make use of this social networking platform to share photos and videos.
- They can even share their photos and videos with friends and loved ones and make them engaged.
- Users are allowed to share photos related to any subject. This platform is exceptionally informative if you use it properly. This platform also offers superb flexibility.
- Users are allowed to use hashtags on the photos as well. As a result, they can connect their posts with other similar content as well.
- Instagram users are allowed to tag their friends no matter if a user is not following them. As long as you have the @username of the friend, you can tag them.
Cons of Instagram
- The users can share any of the photo or a video on the Instagram platform. However, they are all visible to anyone. In addition to that, all the photos and videos get geotagged automatically. Therefore, anybody who follows your kids can learn the current location at any time. And it’s a very risky thing.
- There is also the risk of viewing pornographic contents or other inappropriate images. Therefore, parental supervision is exceptionally important to protect the kids.
- Instagram photos can be uploaded using hashtags. That means you can even upload the ones that come with abusive, harassing content as well.
- If your kid is tagged in a photo, the tagged photo is shared automatically. So, everyone can see that image. This can be an easy target for cyberbullies.
- The Instagram platform is filled with plenty of users who boast about what they did. Young kids will take that content in the wrong way as they are not matured enough. Those kids will eventually try to experience what the adults are boasting.
Does Instagram come with Parental Controls?
If you are a concerned parent, you might have already considered this aspect to protect your kids. That means you might have wondered how to use Instagram parental controls. However, the unfortunate truth is that there is no such faculty provided with Instagram. Well, does that mean that you have to give up on monitoring your kids? No! The good news is that you can monitor your kids’ Instagram activities even if a default facility isn’t provided. In this case, we should use a third-party method to monitor it.
If the kids are bothered by actions such as explicit, harassing, or vulgar comments, you can easily track them. Also, you can report the abusive or inappropriate behavior to respective authorities. If you see any content that is inappropriate for public users, you can report it as well. However, to do all these things, you should have a way to monitor the accounts. With that said, mentioned below are the methods you can consider in order to protect their privacy.
How to apply Instagram parental controls?
Here, we provide a detailed guide about Instagram for parents. Go through this description and learn what you can do and prevent your kids from accessing danger.
● Instagram Parental Controls | Reporting an inappropriate photo
Is your kid using a Windows or an iPhone? If yes, you should see an icon that comprises three horizontal dots. However, if she is using an Android device, there will be three vertical dots. These dots appear just above the photo you intend to report. You will see a drop-down menu when you click on that icon. After that, you should tap on the option called “Report.” Tap on that and choose the option called “Spam or Inappropriate.”
● Instagram Parental Controls | Reporting an inappropriate comment
Sometimes, your kid can be disturbed with a bad, inappropriate, or harassing comment left by someone. In that case, you should report that comment. To do that, you should tap on the respective comment first. Then, if it is an iPhone, swipe it left. However, if it is an Android device, just tap on the comment and tap on the “i” icon. After that, choose the option called “Spam or Scam or Abusive Content.”
● Instagram Parental Controls | Reporting an underage child
Have you come across an account that might be belonging to an underaged kid? In other words, an account belongs to a kid who is younger than 13? In that case, you should fill a form to report the account. After that, the account will be investigated by the Instagram authorities.
● Instagram Parental Controls | Configuring a private account
You should know that all the Instagram accounts are made available for public viewing. That is according to the default settings, though. Therefore, any individual can view the profile of your child and view its content. To overcome this issue, you should make the account a “Private” one. If you do that, the respective account can be viewed only by those who follow the kid’s account.
It is very easy to set up a private account. Mentioned below are the steps to do it.
- To begin, tap on your “Profile Pic” which is located at the bottom.
- Then, click on the icon that appears like three dots.
- Then, you should scroll down ad tap on the option called “Private Account.”
● Instagram Parental Controls | Removing unappreciated followers
When your kid has an Instagram account, any user can follow her. However, it is possible that your kid may not want to have some of those followers. In that case, you should tap on the option called “Followers.” Then, you should also tap on the option that appears with three dots (next to the respective troublesome follower). After that, you can remove them.
● Instagram Parental Controls | Hiding offensive comments
Most of the Instagram comments are highly appreciative. However, it is also true that some comments can be offensive, harassing, or vulgar. In that case, the best approach is to hide those comments. To do that, please tap on the three dots on the profile. If not, tap on the option called “Comment Controls.” Then, you should activate the option called “Hide Offensive Comments.” The website has the ability to detect those comments, although they are not as accurate as you expect.
● Instagram Parental Controls | Unfollowing a user
If there is any user who bothers your child, the best approach is to unfollow the user. Once they are unfollowed, they won’t be notified. Just go to the “Following” section of the profile and tap on the button labeled “Following.”
Well, if you wonder about Instagram parental controls, that’s the explanation we can offer. There is no official or specific way to apply Instagram parental controls. However, with the steps mentioned in this guide, you can put some sort of control on it.
Bonus: Use KidsGuard Pro to protect your kids from online threats
It is true that the above steps we have mentioned can block or report some users on Instagram. However, the truth is that it’s not just enough to protect your kids from online threats. So, how about monitoring your children’s activities remotely? Well, there is a very handy tool to get it done for you. In this case, we will have to use a professional third-party YouTube parental control and Spotify parental control tool called KidsGuard Pro.
This special app can monitor all the activities that take place on the kid’s device. Apart from Instagram, this powerful app can monitor all the other social media platforms. So, whenever something inappropriate happens on a kid’s smartphone, you can take necessary actions immediately.
The best thing about KidsGuard Pro is that you can use it in stealth mode on the kid’s device. The activities will be displayed on a dashboard that can be viewed remotely on your device. Moreover, they offer a 3-day free trial as well. It can monitor real-time location, call history, SMS, pictures, and so on. So, even if Instagram parental controls don’t exist, KidsGuard Pro can fill the gap comprehensively.