One of the burdens that come with buying a new iPhone is that users have to go through the tedious setup stage. iCloud makes this easier to do, but there are still a lot of settings which require manual attention. As such, it can be discouraging to buy a new iPhone. It shouldn’t have to be this way which is why using iPhone Configuration Utility is such an attractive option.
This tool is the fastest way of transferring your iPhone config files from your old iPhone to your new iPhone. Moreover, it removes the stress of re-defining all of your iOS preferences and settings. So, on that note, we’re going to be showing you how to use it.
What is the iPCU Tool?
The iPhone Configuration Utility tool, more commonly known as the iPCU tool, is for managing iOS devices. It is available for both Windows and Mac computers, is easy to use, and offers a lot of configuration accessibility. Below are a few notable features.
- Create new iOS configuration files
- Maintain and edit existing config files
- Encrypt config files that haven’t been encrypted
- Transfer configuration files to an iOS device
- Access in-depth information about an iOS device
- Install third-party iOS apps to a device
If you aren’t already aware of what an iOS config file does, it’s pretty straightforward. This XML file contains a lot of information about your device, most of which you will have unknowingly put in there.
Whenever you change a setting through the “Settings” app, this file changes. Your Wi-Fi settings, VPN and APN settings, email account settings, and much more can all be found in the config file. All of this information in a single file means that it is actually very useful to use the iPhone Configuration Utility whenever you get a new iPhone.
Where to Download iPhone Configuration Utility
Before we show you how to install and use the iPCU tool, let’s first look at where to download it. Two versions of the program are available – one for Mac computers and another for Windows computers.
While the Windows version only gets positive reviews, the Mac version of iPCU has been known to experience some issues. Users report that when attempting to install this program on their Macs, it would randomly stop and wouldn’t progress at all. For that reason, Apple has a different tool known as Apple Configurator. This version has yet to have reports of the same errors.
You can download the iPCU tool from here for Windows computers. Alternatively, if you’re a Mac computer user, click here to find out more about the Apple Configurator.
How to Use The iPCU Tool
If you recently got a new iOS device, then you can use this guide to use iPCU. The steps are simple to follow, and you’ll find that it takes just a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the tool.
Step #1 – Start by installing the iPCU tool on your computer after downloading it via the link above.
Note: NET 2.5 is required for this tool to install on your computer. Thus, update the NET version prior to installing this if you don’t already have the most recent version.
Step #2 – You should now connect your old iOS device using a USB lightning cable and wait a few moments for your computer to detect it.
Step #3 – Next, back on the iPCU tool window, click on “Configuration Profiles” from the list of options.
While you’re on this page, iPhone Configuration Utility will display a lot of information about the device. Feel free to explore each of the tabs and check out some of the interesting data you can see.
Step #4 – Once you’ve made any changes to the configuration file, click on the “Export” button at the top of the tool. Choose a memorable file location to save the config file for future use.
Step #5 – You can now disconnect your old iOS device and instead connect your new iOS device.
Step #6 – After a few seconds, iPCU will detect the device connection. You can now import the config file that you previously saved, and all of your old iOS settings will be changed on your new device.
Of course, this makes it evident that iPCU is a very useful tool to use. Although you can use iTunes or iCloud to back up and import your device data, this won’t include your settings.
dr.fone – iOS Full Toolkit
Dr.Fone – Full Toolkit is a fantastic program that includes all of the tools you’ll ever need to manage your iOS devices. Here are some of the notable features that your typical iPhone user will find come in handy.
- Phone Manager. With the “Phone Manager” feature, you can freely transfer data between your iOS and Android devices. It doesn’t matter if you’re moving from Android to iOS, or you want to move files from your computer to smartphone, this feature is more than capable.
- System Repair. Constantly experiencing issues with your iPhone? Rule out the possibility of software problems without a factory reset. “System Repair” with Dr.Fone reinstalls the iOS version without wiping your personal data and eliminates any problems, like error connecting to iCloud, Mac camera not working.
- Data Eraser. Following the theme of this article, if you have a new iPhone, then it’s natural that you might want to get rid of your old device. If this is the case then scrubbing your personal data is a must. But the standard iOS factory reset leaves personal data as recoverable whereas the “Data Eraser” feature doesn’t!
- Screen Unlock. Forgot your iDevice’s password? Instead of needlessly factory resetting your device using iTunes or iCloud, the “Unlock” feature will safely remove the passcode.
- Data Recovery. Have you accidentally deleted a sentimental photo? Perhaps you lost an important note? Using Dr.Fone – Recover gives you the opportunity to recover data that hasn’t yet been overwritten by the iOS data management system.
- In terms of getting a new iPhone, you can use the Transfer features to move data between iOS devices swiftly. This includes your data and settings and is completely hassle-free. Alternatively, the “Phone Transfer” feature works in a similar way and is meant for this exact situation.
So, there you have it! Not only do you now know everything about the iPhone Configuration Utility tool, but you can use it with confidence and might even consider using dr.fone. When you get a new iPhone the last thing you should worry about is setting Tit up. While there are built-in iOS features to back up your data, the settings require a manual approach. But fortunately, with the guides above, whenever you get a new iPhone you can quickly transfer the data and the settings, and begin exploring what the device has to offer.