Do you know how to delete Time Machine backups? If not, keep reading this article as it explains everything related to Time Machine backups.
As of now, most of the Macbook users have become familiar with backup applications. Such applications become handy in the event of a hard drive crash or any other form of data loss. Being a Mac user, you may already know that your Mac computer has a special feature called Time Machine. It is the default backup program that comes as a default feature in Mac. When you visit the Time Machine folder, you will see that it has an updated copy of the files.
It is absolutely true that such an integrated backup system becomes immensely helpful in terms of data security. However, it can become a problem, as well. For instance, when the respective tool creates regular backups of the files constantly, it will consume available space. When you have a limited space to deal with, this becomes a serious concern. Over time, it can take up a considerable amount of space and leave no room for other files. When you try to create new backups, the system will not allow it because of the lack of space. To make new backups, you will have to free the storage space by deleting old backup files.
Introduction to Time Machine
As we have mentioned, Time Machine comes as a default tool with macOS operating system. You don’t need to download anything extra to run it on your Mac computer. The purpose of this tool is to create automatic backups of the files stored in Mac. For instance, pictures, music, videos, PDF, etc. are backed up using this tool. Even the system files are backed up using Time Machine. If you lose the original file by any chance, you can get it back using the Time Machine feature. So, this is a very effective way to have your files secured.
No matter whether you have deleted the files intentionally or unintentionally, Time Machine can retrieve them easily. But the problem is that those backup files can gather over time and become a massive bunch of data. As a result, the free space in your hard disk can get reduced rapidly.
Reasons for Time Machine Backups to Be so Massive
Mac offers Time Machine as a part of its operating system with OS X 10.5. In general, Time Machine is supposed to be functioning pretty smoothly and reliably in your Mac. However, some of the users claim that their Time Machine backups are too large and accommodate massive space. In this section of our article, we explain the potential reasons behind such a scenario.
Time Machine makes an analysis on your macOS and maintains backups on an hourly basis for 24 hours. In addition to that, it also keeps daily and weekly backups too. When the Time Machine backups on your Mac gets filled up, you should remove the older backups. Otherwise, there won’t be any space to save the new backups. Going through the full backup created by Time Machine is a pretty time-consuming task. In addition to that, it will take a considerably longer time to update the OS because of large backups.
In addition to that, you will notice that the below-mentioned applications can slow down the backup process.
- Virtualization apps: Sometimes, virtualized OS can be saved within OSX files. If you do a minor modification to that, the entire file will be affected. So, it can and may use the available backup space quicker than you think.
- Torrent clients and other P2P file-sharing apps.
- Other possible backup apps that are currently available in your macOS.
Due to the reasons mentioned above, the size of the Time Machine backup can become a massive one. So, at some point, you will need to delete those large backups. But, how to delete backups on Mac? Is it possible? Let’s find it out.
How to Delete Backups on Mac?
The good news is that it is totally possible to delete backups on Mac. In this article, we present three effective methods for those who wonder how to delete Time Machine backups.
Method 1: How to delete Time Machine backups using Umate Mac Cleaner [RECOMMENDED]
As the first method, we explain how to delete Time Machine backups using Umate Mac Cleaner. This is an excellent tool developed specifically to get rid of unwanted files from your Mac. Apart from freeing up space, it can help your Mac to run speedier. You can consider Umate Mac Cleaner to be one of the best mac cleaner tools.
The reliability of this software is impressive. It is designed especially for Mac systems, and the interface is very friendly, even for novices. This app can scan through the hard drives and find old backup files effectively. Then, it can delete all those unnecessary large files to optimize the speed of the computer. The overall process of removing large files off Time Machine is pretty easy thanks to the user-friendliness of it. The deep cleaning mode of the software can easily find any junk file effectively.
Why do we consider Umate Mac Cleaner to be the best out of the rest?
- It deploys a method that removes backup files using a single-click operation for better convenience.
- It cleans files three times faster than any other mac cleaning software in the market.
- The exceptionally convenient interface even for a novice user.
- It can remove all the files and leave no trace whatsoever.
So, in general, Umate Mac Cleaner can make it convenient for the user when it comes to deleting backups. The main advantage associated with this tool is that it brings convenience and speed to the deleting process. It can also help to fix the macOS Big Sur slow issue with ease.
How to delete Time Machine backups using Umate Mac Cleaner
Now we have a good idea about nature and the capabilities associated with Umate Mac Cleaner. With that knowledge, let’s learn how to use to it delete an old backup stored in your Time Machine. The deletion process is explained in a step-by-step method for the convenience of the user.
- As the first step, you should download and install Umate Mac Cleaner on your computer.
- Now, you should launch the software turn on the scanning option on it. To do that, you can click on the Scan button. This option will activate the scanning process. Then, the app will start to detect all the junk files that consume your hard disk space. Once the files are detected, you can hit the option called ‘Clean‘ so the selected files will be removed.
- Some of the users prefer a deeper and more efficient cleaning as opposed to basic cleaning processes. In that case, you’ll have to rely on the ‘Deep Clean‘ mode. To perform a ‘Deep Clean,’ you should hit the ‘Deep Clean.’ With this method, you will be able to remove all the iOS junk files even if they are hidden.
As you see, Umate Mac Cleaner offers you two methods to clean your Mac. You can choose any of those methods based on the severity of the storage space condition.
Method 2: How to delete backups on Mac using Time Machine app
As we have explained throughout the article, Mac has a Time Machine feature as a default option. This option will backup all the important files. Nevertheless, you can use the same app to remove the older backups you don’t need any longer. Mentioned below are the steps you should follow to delete Mac Time Machine backups.
- First, you should find the backup drive of the Mac system you are working on.
- Now, go to Menu Bar, and you will see the icon that represents the Time Machine application. Just click on it.
- You will now be directed to a different page. You can navigate through the backup files by scrolling. And you can simply need to pick the files that should be gone. You can remove the files that are older and larger to free up some space.
- You can move the mouse pointer towards the Gear icon on the interface and click on it.
- Choose the option called ‘Delete Backup.’
- Now, you will see that the screen will notify a confirmation message for you. You will have to agree to this message to get the process completed.
- Provide the password and username as prompted.
By the way, if you are facing the Mac stuck on Apple logo issue, here are the top best fixes for you.
Method 3: How to delete Time Machine backups using a Terminal Command
The third method in the article is to use a Terminal Command to delete the backups. Just like the second method, this is a manual method, so you cannot expect much user-friendliness from it. This is accomplished with timutil command and Terminal command. You can use this method if you know how to deal with the command-line interface. If not, things might be very difficult for you. If you don’t type the commands correctly, it will not work. So, go through the steps mentioned below and delete old backups.
- Go to Applications and head to Utilities. Then, launch the Terminal.
- To see the backup list, you should enter the command tmutil listbackup.
- Now, you will see the list of backups categorized according to the date.
- Carefully choose the files that should be deleted and input the command sudo tmutil delete.
- You can even remove more than one backup file at a time using this method.
Bonus: What if you delete a backup file accidentally?
Although deleting a file is a very simple task, things can go wrong even with such a small task. That means any user can delete an important file accidentally when deleting old backups. The good news is that you can retrieve those files from local snapshots. Macs usually keep a backup for some time. To look for those deleted files, you can follow the steps mentioned below and get it done.
- Go to ‘Enter Time Machine‘ and open the Time Machine.
- Find the files that need to be restored.
- Preview those files simply by pressing the Space bar, so you know what exactly you are dealing with.
- Select the file and choose to ‘Restore‘, and it will recover the file.
Conclusion on How to Delete Backups on Mac
We presented three methods for those who wonder how to delete Time Machine backups. All those methods can deliver what you expect. However, when it comes to the convenience factor, the options differ. As we notice, the most efficient, convenient and fastest method to delete those files is Umate Mac Cleaner. Using the terminal command can confuse some of the novice users. However, Umate Mac Cleaner does the job with more convenience. In addition to that, Umate Mac Clean can perform a deep scan as well. So, if you wonder how to delete backups on Mac, we recommend Umate Mac Cleaner.