If you use a MacBook, you must be familiar with the term “cache.” You must have seen it somewhere in your storage settings. Do you know what is it or where does it come from? Are you aware that freeing up the caches can create a lot of storage space on your Mac? Learn more about how to clear cache on Mac and get rid of it safely to relish a better experience of your MacBook.
Cache is the temporary data produced and stored by various apps, browsers, and the system. It gets stored on your hard drive and is mostly generated to launch apps and websites faster. For instance, when you visit a website, it downloads some of the images from it to the cache memory so that whenever you visit the same website again, it wouldn’t have to download the images again. Every app and browser use cache memory to speed up its launching process.
Also, click to figure out What is the Ctrl+Alt+Del command on Mac here.
There are three main types of caches on Mac:
- System Cache: The built-in Mac system, which runs your device, produces this type of cache.
- User Cache: The in-built app and some third-party apps create this type of cache.
- Browser Cache: When you browse a webpage, this type of cache is locally stored in your Mac.
Now that you know about what cache is and how it is produced, you must be wondering about how to clear cache on Mac. There are several reasons why people choose to clear cache on Mac. Here are some benefits to do that:
1. More Storage Space
Cache files take up lots of storage space on Mac. If you remove those files, you can utilize the freed space for some other purpose, such as storing more photos, music, movies, games, or your favorite apps. So, next time, when you cannot download some app because your storage memory is full, clear cache on Mac.
2. Faster functioning of Mac
If you use many browsers and apps, then you must have downloaded a lot of cache files without being aware of it. Too many cache files can eventually slow down your Mac. When you clear cache on Mac, you will notice some differences in the operating speed of your Mac.
3. No More Crashes
Sometimes storage of cache leads to outdated web pages on your Mac, which leads to frequent crashes. If you want to avoid lagging and freezing websites, you must clear cache on Mac. When the old data gets deleted, the browser will start downloading newer versions of that website, making it work smoother.
4. Secure your Privacy
A few websites or apps may store your personal data in the form of cache files. It can include your search history and downloaded files. Removing the cache can remove your data and secure your privacy.
Besides, here is the top Clone Files Checker for your reference.
Part 4. CleanMyMac X: The ultimate solution to clear all your cache files on your Mac with a single click
Searching your Mac for cache files and deleting them individually may take a lot of time and effort. Most users do not clear cache on Mac due to the lengthy process it requires. But there is a simple solution for those who want to save their valuable time and energy while deleting the cache from their Mac.
Mac Cleanup software has introduced an all-in-one Mac cleanup app to clear cache on Mac in a few seconds. With the advanced and latest technology of CleanMyMac X, you can perform the task quickly and safely. It automatically finds all types of cache stored on your Mac device and deletes them, ensuring 100% safety.
There are two different ways that tell you how to clear cache on Mac with CleanMyMac X. You can either choose the option “Quick clean” in which you can clear the cache from apps, iTunes, etc. in just a single click. The other way that tells you how to clear cache on Mac is choosing the option of “Deep Cleaning.” CleanMyMac X will ensure the safe removal of all the cache stored on your device when you choose this option.
How to use CleanMyMac X to clear cache on Mac
Follow these instructions to delete cache from your Mac using CleanMy Mac:
- 1: Install CleanMyMac X and launch the software.
- 2: Select the “Scan” option to scan the files on your Mac system. It will search for the system caches, app caches, iTunes caches, and other cache files that can be deleted. Then, it will show you the files, which are safe to be deleted in the “Quick Clean” option.
- 3: Click the “Clean” button to clean all the selected files.
Browsers do not let you clean everything, and it can be a tedious process to go through all the different browsers and perform how to clear cache on Mac manually. CleanMyMac X lets you deep clean all your browser caches in one place. Follow these simple steps for deep cleaning your Mac:
- 1: Select the “Erase Private Data” tab in CleanMyMac in order to deep clean your browser caches.
- 2: Click on “Scan Now” and selectively delete the files on the option of “Online Traces.”
- 3: This will remove your chosen browser caches within a few seconds.
Features of CleanMyMac X
- Automatic detection of all caches
- Deletes only those cache files, which are safe to remove
- Increases the available space on your hard disk
- Faster scanning and cleaning speed compared to other applications
- Allows manual operation for deep cleaning
- Supports more than 40 types of files; deletes multiple caches on your Mac
- User-friendly with easy interface and instructions
- Hassle-free and quick; Cleans cache on your Mac within seconds
Thus, CleanMyMacX is the fastest and easiest solution to clear the cache on Mac. Download the app and try yourself to experience a cleaner, safer, and faster version of your MacBook.
1. System Cache
Whenever you use certain features of a Mac system, it leads to the creation of system caches. The Mac system sometimes downloads certain files to improve the performance of that feature. Those files are usually the cache files. To know how to clear cache on Mac, follow these steps:
Warning: Make sure you backup all your folders before you clear cache on Mac in case any Mac malfunction takes place.
- 1: Open the “Finder” window. Then click “Go to Folder” in the “Go” menu.
- 2: Type “~/Library/Caches” and then press “Enter.”
- 3: Navigate through the com. Apple folders and delete the cache files.
This is how you can clear cache on Mac. If you want to clear cache on Mac in a secure and timely manner, then you can use Umate Mac Cleaner. This software can automatically scan and identify unnecessary system cache files and lets you clear cache on Mac with the click of a button.
2. User Cache
User cache folders can take up enormous space on your Mac. The apps that you have installed on your Mac can store a large amount of cache in the form of images, log files, and other backup files. Deleting the user cache folders created by these folders can free up a lot of storage memory on your Mac. Follow these steps to clear cache on Mac:
Warning: Deleting the user cache folders may result in the loss of important data. Create a backup before you clear cache on Mac to prevent any system errors.
- 1: Open up the Terminal by pressing “Command+ Shift+ G“
- 2: Type “~/Library/Caches/” and proceed to the next folder.
- 3: Select the apps whose cache folders you wish to delete.
- 4: Delete the cache folder by pressing “Command+ Delete.”
3. Browser Cache
Browsers, such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc., store a massive amount of cache on your Mac. The more web surfing you do, the more cache adds up in your Mac. Browser cache also contains your browsing history and the things you download. So, if you are worried about your internet privacy and want some free space on your Mac, clear cache on Mac by visiting each browser individually in the following ways:
How to clear cache on Mac in Chrome
You can visit Google Chrome directly to clear the cache files stored by it. Follow these steps to clear cache on Mac Chrome:
- 1: Open Chrome on your Mac. In the top right corner, you will find a three-dot icon. Click the icon.
- 2: Choose “Settings.”
- 3: Click on “Advanced” from the bottom of the menu.
- 4: Click on “Clear Browsing Data.”
- 5: Select the cache files and images and click on “Clear Data.”
How to clear cache on Mac in Safari
To clear cache on Mac Safari manually, follow these instructions:
- 1: Click “Safari” in the top menu.
- 2: Click preferences and choose the “Advanced” tab.
- 3: From the menu bar, enable “Show Develop.”
- 4: Click the “Develop” option in the menu bar.
- 5: Press “Empty caches.”
How to clear cache on Mac in Firefox
If you want to clear cache on Mac Firefox browser, then follow these steps:
- 1: Open Firefox. You will find a hamburger icon on the top right. Click on the icon.
- 2: From the left sidebar, choose the “Privacy and Security” option.
- 3: Scroll down and click the “Cached Web Content.”
- 4: Click “Clear Now” and your Firefox cache will be deleted.
How to clear cache on Mac in Opera
To do it, follow these instructions:
- 1: Open the Opera browser and choose “Settings.”
- 2: Click “Clear browsing data.”
- 3: Choose the cache files you want to delete or select a time range.
- 4: Click “Clear browsing data.”
By the way, let’s figure out how to fix the Erase Process Has Failed on Mac issue easily.
Conclusion on how to clear cache on Mac
We hope that this article provided you the information on how to clear cache on Mac. Now you know that removing cache is very important for the proper functioning of the device. Cleaning your Mac regularly can give you a faster and better internet experience.
By deleting the cache, you can also gain back lots of storage space, which you can use for other important apps. We have described all the methods on how to clear cache on Mac. It can be done manually or with the help of CleanMyMac X.
The manual process is more time-consuming and frustrating. You may get lost in the long list of commands and delete some important files. For a quicker and safer experience, we recommend you to go for CleanMyMac X.
This software requires a single click to detect and clear cache on Mac automatically. CleanMyMac X lets you clear only the cache files that need to be deleted and provides you with a cleaner Mac in just a few seconds. Install the app as soon as possible to get rid of all the caches on your Mac.