Forgot the Excel password and wondering how to get those precious data back? Don’t be panicked as we can help you overcome this issue.
As you already know, using a password for Excel is a safety measure to protect data. As long as you know the password, you can open the respective spreadsheet and work.
However, the problem arises when the respective password is forgotten. If you are facing such a problem now, you can make use of the solutions mentioned here.
Solutions to Use if You Forgot Excel Password
There is no shortage of people who add passwords to the Excel files to limit access or modification. However, as you may already know, many individuals come across this “forgot Excel password” issue.
Needless to mention that it can be frustrating because users may lose valuable files. However, if you forgot your Excel password, there are several ways to unlock those files.
PS: let’s figure out how to recover the unsaved Excel file.
Unlock the Excel Password You Have Forgotten
If you are facing a situation where you forgot your Excel password, there are a couple of methods to use. Mentioned below are those methods so you can try them and get rid of the issue.
1. Recover Excel Password using PassFab for Excel
PassFab for Excel is another powerful, impressive tool that can fix forgotten open and restricted passwords for Excel. In fact, this method works for nearly all versions of Microsoft Excel files you use.
Basically, it can unlock all of your Excel passwords very easily as it utilizes several attacks. PassFab for Excel works for both workbooks and spreadsheets and supports fast cracking as well.
Mentioned below is how to use this program to unlock Excel files.
- First, download the PassFab for Excel and get it installed. Then, launch it. Once it’s launched, you should choose the “Recover Excel Open Password” feature.
- You can see a new window. Click on “+,” and that will allow you to import an Excel spreadsheet whose password is forgotten.
- This software comes with three attack options—namely, Brute Force, Brute Force with Mask, and Dictionary. You should choose the attack type and set parameters accordingly.
Important: you should use Dictionary Attack once you have already got a dictionary file. However, Brute Force with Mask Attack, allows you to crack the password with any part you remember. When it comes to Brute Force Attack, it tries all the possible combinations to unlock the password.
- Now, you should click on the option called “Recover.” This will bring up the Excel password recovery mode. Please note that it’s going to take time, depending on the password length and its complexity.
- Your password will be found when the attack is complete. To make it easier, a separate window will appear with the foundation that is found.
Besides, let’s learn more about how to bypass the WinRAR password.
2. Use an Online Tool when You Forgot Excel Password
Some individuals do not want to use any third-party program on their PC for any reason. If that is the case, you may attempt to use a password recovery tool based on the web.
Although it may help you to unlock your Excel passwords online, it requires a stable and powerful internet connection. You are also required to upload your file to its server to proceed with the recovery.
So, if your Excel file includes some sensitive information, this is not the best method. As long as you have a powerful internet connection and do not mind uploading files, follow the steps below.
- First of all, you should go to the official website of Password Online Recovery.
- Now, you should click on the option called “Upload your encrypted file” to proceed. Then, you can upload your Excel file.
- Once you have done the uploading, be sure to input a legitimate email address.
- Reach your email inbox box to activate the decryption process.
- Be patient and wait so the tool will recover the password for you. You will get a notification notified through email once the recovery is successfully completed. What’s more, you can have the recovered password after making the payment.
3. Recover a Forgotten Excel Password for the Purpose of Modifying the File
Have you set a password for unauthorized modifying? And, now you have forgotten the worksheet/workbook password? If that is the case, you’ll be unable to form any changes to your workbook or sheet. If you’re facing such a situation, you’ll be able to remove this restriction with the methods below.
3.1. Use the One-Click Method to Unlock Forgot Excel Password to Modify
With the tool called “PassFab for Excel” (that we mentioned above), you can do it. In fact, it allows you to unlock the password to modify it with a single click.
Follow the steps below to get it done.
- First, download PassFab for Excel and install it. Launch it and choose “Remove Excel Restriction Password“.
- Now, choose “Please import the Excel file.” So, you can proceed to import the Excel worksheet you would like to get rid of restrictions.
- Choose “Remove” and wait for a couple of seconds.
3.2. Use a VBA Code to Unlock an Excel Worksheet
The next method is performed using VBA Code. However, please note that this method will only work for Excel 2010, 2007, and earlier versions. If you forgot the Excel password on the 2013/2016/2019 versions, you should check other methods we introduced.
Important: You must also realize that this method works only with single Microsoft Excel sheets.
If there are multiple sheets whose passwords are forgotten, you should use the process for every sheet. You should open one sheet after the other and see if you can decode the password.
Mentioned below are the steps to follow.
- First, you should launch the Excel File whose password is forgotten.
- Now, press the Alt key plus F11 on your keyboard. As a result, the VBA window will appear.
- Now, you should click on the option called “Insert” in the Toolbar and choose “Module” from the options.
- Now, you should enter your VBA code on the VBA window.
- And now, you should press the F5 key. As a result, the code will run.
- You should now wait for some time. Now a different menu will appear, and your password will be displayed. Write the password down and use it to unlock your worksheet.
3.3. Unlock the Forgotten Excel Password Using Zip
You should note that this process works only for Excel 2007 and 2019 versions.
- First, install any Zip compression tool such as WinRar, 7-Zip, etc. on your PC.
- Then, use the compression to open the Excel file. Make sure to right-click on the file and choose “Open with WinRar” (or 7-Zip).
- Now, navigate to “xl\worksheets\“.
- Locate the sheet whose password is forgotten. Right-click on it and choose the “Edit” option.
- Now, press “Ctrl” + “F” keys simultaneously and search for the tag “<sheetProtection …>” Then delete it.
- Once you have deleted it, save the file and exit the editor. Now, your worksheet is unprotected (unlocked).
3.4. How to Unlock an Excel File Without Using Software
Do you wish to unlock your Excel file without using any software? If so, this method is for you.
- Launch Google Drive and log in to your Gmail account. Then, go to the “New” tab and choose Google Sheets.
- Click on File and then on Import.
- Now, on the popup window, click on ‘Upload‘. Then you should choose a file from your device to upload the password-protected Excel sheet.
- Once the uploading is done, select the ‘Replace Spreadsheet‘ and click on ‘Import Data‘. The protected Excel sheet will be opened in Google Sheets.
- Go to the option called “File“. Then, click on ‘Download As‘ and select ‘Microsoft Excel‘.
- Once you have opened this new file, you can locate the worksheet/workbook, and it isn’t password-protected anymore.
The uploading speed of the file is actually slow. So, the loading process is susceptible to stuck if there are several worksheets in your Excel file. In addition to that, the file you downloaded from Google Sheets will appear in Protected View. So, you should enable editing manually.
Is It Possible to Edit a Forgot Excel Password on Mac?
As you can clearly see, the above solutions we explained are mainly for Windows users. If you are a macOS user, you’ll be wondering whether you’ll recover your forgotten Excel passwords. Well, there’s good news for you, so keep reading.
Do you want to unlock the forgotten Excel password and edit an Excel file? In that case, the methods mentioned earlier, like using VBA code and ZIP software, are practical solutions.
Nevertheless, to recover the forgotten password to access your Excel file, there are only two practical ways. They are; using the Keychain Access program or transferring your Excel file to a Windows computer.
After transferring it to Windows PC, you can use any of the tools mentioned above and crack the password.
Here’s How to Do It with the Keychain Access Program.
- Go to the “Application” folder on the Mac. Then, go to “Utilities” and click on “Keychain Access” to open it.
- Locate the option called “Passwords” located in the left panel of the Keychain Access program and click it.
- You can see a “Name” column. It is located at the top left of the program’s main screen.
- Go down and locate “Excel.” Click it.
- A different screen will come out. Check the option called “Show password” under the “Attributes” tab. Another screen will appear and then enter the “login” Keychain password.
- Now, click on “Allow” to proceed. It is possible to see the password in the “Show password” box once you have done that.
Do you know other solutions to use when you Forgot Excel password? Please let us know.