Even though MS Excel works great for business documents, you may get stuck with an Excel file not opening on random occasions, and that can turn out to be a big problem too. Such situations can be handled both manually as well as automatically, and we are going to give the best solutions for both ways as you read on.
Reasons behind the Excel not opening
The problem of the non-operational Excel files comes with the inability of users to open them or sometimes even do basic editing changes in them. When trying to open these files, a white blank screen appears on the screen, and there can be various reasons for it:
- Lost password
- Altered Excel Associations settings
- DDS box settings changed
- User Experience Visualization Update
- Hardware acceleration
- Random errors or any damage
- Third-party add-ins activated
PS: if you are experiencing the Excel not responding issue, here are the top solutions for you.
Passper for Excel – Best unlocking software for the password-protected files
The primary reason due to which many of you may have failed to gain access to an Excel file on your system is that these files are protected by a password set by you or anyone else. In such cases, to gain safe access to such Excel files can be made possible by third-party unlocking software like Passper for Excel here.
The advanced features of the software Passper for Excel can work for any kind of Excel file not opening by recovering the password for it instantly irrespective of the complexity of the code. There are two mention-worthy modes of functions of this software:
1. Recover password mode – This function can be used to recover the password for any locked Excel file and open it simultaneously.
2. Remove restrictions mode – This function helps in the removal of editing restrictions from an Excel worksheet or workbook in merely two seconds if you Forgot Excel password or your Excel File Locked For Editing.
The first feature, that is, the recover password mode, of this software has got the most advanced functioning, whereby it gives you the option to choose from four different attack modes. These modes deploy a different kind of techniques while breaking the passwords, and here is the list of them:
- Dictionary Attack – This mode searches through a great number of all possible password combinations available to unlock the Excel file by finding the right password. You can help this mode by feeding any possible password that you may have used earlier or other passwords that you use frequently. The software will then try out all the other possible combinations related to the ones you entered, and that may give the right password to you.
- Mask Attack – This mode can be chosen in the case where you remember some elements of the password of the Excel file, not opening. For instance, if you happen to remember things like password length or the characters that you used in the password, you can enter such information after selecting the mask attack mode, and then the software will use that info to crack the right password and open the document for you further.
- Combination Attack – This mode works in a way where you can choose any set of characters that you think might be there in the password and then enter them. The software will then combine those characters in all the possible ways and recover the right password.
- Brute-Force Attack – This mode helps when you have absolutely no idea about the lock password. The software will then take its course of action, where it will start searching for the password from scratch. This then makes it obvious that this mode will take a longer time to recover the right password since it will do searches in its database, followed by the whole web in the absence of any input from your end.
This software is clearly the best way out if you fail to open Excel files or work on them and wish to unlock excel password. However, if you want free methods or are confident enough to make changes in the system manually, the following is a list of the solutions that you can try.
Resetting the Excel Associations to Fix ‘Excel File Not Opening’
Out of the many reasons that can cause Excel not opening is the change in the settings of the Excel program that can cause the files to not open at all. The most logical solution to this issue is to hit at the cause right away that is altering the settings back to their right and original state. This may fix the problem and open your file.
Here are the steps that you need to follow:
1. Hit a right-click on the button Windows or Start of your PC.
2. Open the Control Panel and then choose the option Programs from the list. Go to the folder Default Programs and then select the option Set Your Default Programs. The search results will then emerge that will display all the default programs on the PC.
3. In the program list that came up, find out the option of Excel followed by clicking on it. Choose the option of Choose Default for this Program from the ones that come up. This will launch the screen of Set Program Associations.
4. Once on this screen, tick the box of Select All. Hit the button Save and then OK for applying the changes.
This was all about resetting the Excel File Associations. Try opening the file, and you may encounter no issues this time.
Changing the DDE Box settings to Fix ‘Excel File Not Opening’
Another factor that can be responsible for the Excel File Not Opening is the DDE feature of the program. Many times, this feature gets disable in case of the option ‘Ignore Other Applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)‘ getting ticked accidentally or on purpose. The DDE feature sends messages and further operation instructions to the Excel program when it is double-clicked upon. This issue can thus be resolved by un-ticking the box ‘Ignore DDE,’ and here are the steps for doing so:
1. Launch a new file in the Excel program. Hit the tab File and then select the options Options.
2. Here, select the tab of Advanced Option and then find the option of General Tab. It is present in the dialog box within the Advanced Options tab.
3. The box of ‘Ignore Other Applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)‘ will be present here. You will see that it is marked.
4. Untick this box, followed by clicking the button OK for saving and applying the changes made. The process will be completed at this stage.
If this method becomes successful, your Excel file not opening will get unlocked easily and start running without any hassle.
Repairing the User Experience Virtualization to Fix ‘Excel File Not Opening’
If you find out that the Update User Experience Virtualization or UE-V has been causing problems to the Excel files and leading them to not open at all, you can try using the Hotfix method as one of the redressal methods for this issue. For the UE-V, you can install the 2927019 hotfixes that can be procured from the official support page of Microsoft. The various knowledgebase articles present on the help page provide a link to these hotfixes. You will have to find the hotfix that we mentioned from the right article and also remember that it can be applied to solve this particular issue only.
Open the concerned knowledgebase article and click on the download link for the hotfix that can be found on the top of the article itself. If the link is not available there or you face any trouble in downloading the hotfix from the available link, you can contact Microsoft support directly, and you will get help from there.
Disabling the hardware acceleration to fix ‘Excel File Not Opening’
This is another potential fix to the Excel not opening that involves disabling the hardware acceleration until the manufacturer releases a new fix for the issue. Here are the steps that you have to follow:
1. Launch any program of Office. Hit the tab File and then click on the Options tab.
2. A dialog box will appear now in which you have to click the option of Advanced.
3. A list of options will emerge once again, and you will have to find the box of Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration. Tick that box.
4. Hit the button OK for completing the process.
Repairing the Excel files in case of damage
Another very probable reason for your Excel file not opening can be any damage causes to the file in any way, rendering it non-operable at all. Various file errors can be responsible for the same. The logical solution that follows is to repair the damaged file to open it for use. For this purpose, Excel has an in-built feature called the Open and Repair that repairs such files. Here is how to operate it:
1. Launch MS Excel and hit the tab File.
2. Choose the option Open and then select the file that is giving the problem. Select the option Open and Repair.
3. In the next window, hit the button Repair for starting the repair process.
4. If the said repair process fails by any change, a warning box will emerge on the screen when you try to open the damaged file next time. From this box, select the option of Extract Data for procuring all the values contained in the file.
Disabling the Add-ins
Add-ins are mostly the third party elements that cause various errors in Excel files and finally causing Excel not opening. The best way out from this problem is to disable all such add-ins, and here are the steps to do so:
1. Launch the Excel program and hit the tab File. Under the Options tab, select the option Add-ins.
2. At the bottom, you will find an option of the Manage List. From there, click on the item COM Add-ins followed by clicking the button Go.
3. Remove any of the listed Add-ins followed by clicking OK.
Go back and double-click on the particular Excel file that wasn’t opening earlier. The problem will disappear, but if it doesn’t, repeat the process and remove one more add-in this time.
Conclusion on How to Fix ‘Excel File Not Opening’ Issue
You can try the Passper for Excel for fixing the Excel File Not Opening as it is the best way out and then try other manual fixes if the problem is something else. You will just have to be very careful with the steps, but the results will surely appear.