This error can be a headache to have, especially when you get hit with it after you are done installing a game or updating it, especially when you seeing disk write error on Steam after waiting for a long period for the download to get finished. If you are seeing this error on your computer, then you are not alone, plenty of users have reported seeing this error on the computer. The only good thing disk write error on Steam brings to the table, is the details. It doesn’t leave you stranded with just the error code. It tells you more about the error, and what can be done to fix it.
The Reason for Disk Write Error on Steam
There is plenty of reason behind this error. But the most prominent reason is brand sectors in your hard disk. If your HDD is damaged and filled with bad sectors, then you will start having a problem with Steam. Besides having bad sectors, data corruption, file corruption, and system files being infected will cause a disk write error on Steam. You need to take quick action to solve the error as fast as possible before infecting other files in the disk.
PS: If you are bothered with the errors of SSD not showing up or ‘The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable‘, here are the top fixes.
The Solution for Disk Write Error on Steam
While the initial look on the problem will seem bad to a lot of people, some of them might never have heard about disk write error steam or bad sectors in their HDD ever in their life. The only thing you should know is that there are plenty of methods that you can try to remove the error and make your HDD safer in the long run. So you can go back to playing without worrying about the background process.
Method 1: Verification of your Steam Files
One of the ways you can fix disk write error steam is by verifying the integrity of the steam files in the disk. Follow the steps below to verify the steam files in your HDD.
- First, you need to restart your system, then launch the Steam app.
- Here you need to select the LIBRARY tab. Then choose the game that has been hitting you with disk write error steam.
- Click on that game, then go to the properties.
- Here Click on the LOCAL FILES, then you will see the option to VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES. Click on that.
- This will make Steam start verifying all the installed files in your computer that are related to that game. Here you will see many failures for verification. You don’t have to worry about it, as these fails are international. Will happen with most steam games.
- Once the verification of the game files is finished, then you can go back to downloading and installing the update again. To see if the error on your disk persists or not.
Method 2: Deleting No Size files to fix Disk Write Error on Steam
There are some files in the steam folder that will have 0 KB size to them. Deleting them might solve your problem. To do that, you need to make your way to the steam folder on your computer. Just go Local Disk C > Program files(x86) > Steam > Steamapps > Common.
Here delete any file that you see in the size of 0KB. After you are done deleting the files that are 0KB, then you start installing the updates again. If it doesn’t, then you have successfully removed disk write error steam from your system.
Besides, if you are facing the issues of Steam Download Stopping or the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer, just click to fix them now.
Method 3: Flushconfig
This will clear the cache off your Steam. More likely to resolve the disk write error steam issue in your hand.
- Just open Run by pressing windows + R
- Here type in Steam://flushconfig
- Then hit ok to start the process. After it is finished, then you need to restart the computer.
- After the restart, you can go back to install the updates on the game again.
Method 4: Remove Disk Write Protection
When your disk write is protected, then you will not be able to install anything new, or you will not be able to modify the data. But there is a way to remove the error from the disk, so the disk can go back to acting normal.
- First, you need to hit start, then open Command Prompt with the administrative privileges.
- Then type the following code in the cmd.
Then – list disk
Select disk *num (Select the disk that you are facing error from)
Attributes disk clear read-only.
That’s it, install the updates on the drive to see if you see any changes with the error code disk write error steam.
Method 5: Removing the corrupted files
Corrupted files will cause a lot of errors in a system. A disk writes error stream is one of those errors that are likely to pop up on a computer if your system has corrupted files. Here are the steps to remove the corrupted files from the list.
- The first thing you need to do is make your way to the steam folder in the local disk C.
- Once you are in the steam folder, open up the Log folder. Here you will see plenty of log files stored.
- Just find the log file ‘Content_log.’ Open it by double-clicking on it.
- If you see any failed to write an error written on it at the bottom line, if yes, then you have to delete the file.
- Then you can go back to installing the updates for the game again.
Method 6: Disable Antivirus
Antivirus can be the root cause of most of the errors people encounter on their computers. This being no different. If you have an antivirus installed in your system, then it would be wise to remove the antivirus to make the computer more acceptable for the new updates. Or you can make an exception in your antivirus for apps like Steam.
Method 7: Use Driver Easy to Fix Disk Write Error on Steam
Some of the problems that can arise in the computer are due to an outdated driver or having no driver installed for the device. Disk write error steam happens to be one of them. Here you have the choice to manually install all the drivers for the device by going to each of your devices and right-clicking on them, hitting the updated driver. This can be seen as consuming a lot of your time and resources. There is plenty of third-party software that you can use to update all the drivers for the computer faster without hitting every one of them manually. It is by using Driver Easy. It is one of the best third-party software that you can use to fix the problems faster and effectively.
Follow these simple steps to use Driver Easy
- Download Driver Easy, install it
- After installation, hit Scan now.
- Then click on Update.
- That’s it!
These are the steps you need to follow to update your driver with Driver Easy. It will automatically download the perfect version of the driver updates for your device. If you get the Pro version, you will be able to update all the drivers at the same time. This will take care of the problem disk write error steam error out of your computer.
Method 8: Use EaseUS to Fix Disk Write Error on Steam
EaseUS Partition Master will let you remove the bad sector of your HDD to remove disk write error steam off your system. Since the bad sector is the reason why you see this error in the first place, taking out the bad sector problem will remove the disk write error steam error.
- Download EaseUS Partition Master on your computer, then launch the program
- Here you need to locate the disk that is giving you the disk write error steam error.
- Then right-click on that partition. Click on “Check File System.”
- In the dialogue box of Check File System, Keep the checkmark on “Try to fix errors if found” option. Then you can start the process.
- This will start checking the errors in your partition; after some time, you will see the Finish button. Click on it. That’s it.
Other Solution with EaseUS –
- With EaseUS Partition Master, you will be able to Clone your HDD to a new one if your old HDD seems too damaged or can’t function any normal task.
- When you hit clone, all of your data will be transferred to the targeted device.
Final Thought About Disk Write Error on Steam
Seeing disk write error steam error would make the heart stop of any gamer. As the mind will quickly ponder to save files they have from the game. If you are suffering from the same situation as others for this error, then you can try the methods above to fix the error time so you won’t see any damaged game files or, worse, your save progress being corrupted. Disk write error on Steam is one of the common errors people face on Steam. Just check on some of the methods to fix it as fast as possible.