MP3 has long been the format we look towards when downloading music and listening to it on our portable music players (or MP3 players). It still is – YouTube downloaders and online music stores remain with MP3. Problems can arise for music producers or upcoming DJs if they attempt to use MP3 though. These people usually research methods to convert MP3 to OGG, and if you’ve done the same, you came to the right place.
While OGG doesn’t have as much popularity as MP3, the lack of restrictions makes it a more appealing format for music creators. So, for anyone wanting to convert their audio files to a convenient format like OGG, keep on reading.
What are MP3 and OGG?
To fully understand when using an OGG converter can be beneficial, knowing the basics of these formats is useful. Here’s a quick breakdown of what they are.
- MP3. This format is, of course, the most well-known audio format. It uses lossy compression to produce smaller file sizes, faster file access, and the drop in audio quality isn’t actually noticeable. Sure, the quality isn’t as great as other audio formats. But this is balanced by the size reduction and widespread compatibility.
- OGG. Similar to MP3 is OGG. Again it uses a lossy compression method, and due to how little attention it receives, there’s nowhere near as much compatibility for OGG as there is for MP3. The main reason for converting to this format is that it isn’t bound by patent restrictions.
Other than the single benefit of no restrictions, OGG doesn’t seem to offer anything which impresses us a lot. Nonetheless, some people convert MP3 to OGG because they find it easier to use OGG files for editing and producing.
Wondershare UniConverter is a no-limits video manager. As an MP3 converter, it’s fantastic, and you can convert files to OGG, AAC, and M4A formats. The same applies to other formats – users are able to convert hundreds of different file formats to hundreds of others.
Even as an impressive converter that isn’t where this program’s capabilities end. Converting, editing, and screen recording are some of the areas in which UniConverter excels.
- Convert MP3 to OGG and convert YouTube to OGG up to 30-times faster than other converters
- Extract the audio track from video files and save it as any audio format
- Convert music and videos to files optimized for specific devices
- Import and convert audio tracks in bulk and optionally merge them into a single file
- Transfer data freely between the UniConverter library and your USB devices
- Download music and videos with the built-in downloader
- Burn videos to DVDs
- Includes a video editing studio including crop, filter, metadata fixing, and compression features
- Provides video templates to create high-quality videos projects before burning them to DVD
In terms of using Wondershare UniConverter as an OGG converter, it provides us with everything needed. Additionally, it gives a built-in downloader, editing studio, and a toolbox with a selection of random yet useful features.
You can download UniConverter for free, but if you intend on getting full access to all features, you must purchase a license.
Steps to Use UniConverter
After getting a copy of Wondershare UniConverter to change the format of MP3 files, now it’s time actually to start converting. With a short and simple technique, you can do just that.
- #1 – Install UniConverter on your PC and launch it.
- #2 – Click “Add Files” at the top-left and select “Add Files” or “Add Folder” depending on the number of files you plan to convert. Drag-and-drop is also an option for this step.
- #3 – Next click on “Convert all files to:” at the top-right and all the conversion options will be displayed.
- #4 – Select the “Audio” tab and scroll down on the list of formats to select “OGG.”
- #5 – Choose one of the audio quality settings before you click the “Convert All” button at the bottom-right of the window.
UniConverter handles the rest of the process for you. Remember that by choosing higher-quality audio, a larger file will be produced and this OGG converter will take longer. Obviously converting files in bulk also extends the length of time it’ll take, but that’s how it is for all converters.
The great thing about this process is that once you get the hang of it, you can do the same for videos too. Converting and compressing are two insanely easy tasks with Wondershare UniConverter.
Top 2. VLC Media Player
Not many users are aware that VLC Media Player can convert MP3 to OGG, but it can. VLC has a lot of hidden features, such as:
- Streaming live feeds from YouTube, Facebook, and Twitch through the media player
- Share media from your computer to other devices on the network
- Add bookmarks for specific timestamps so that you can resume where you left off
- Create playlists and save them for quick access in the future
- Fix incorrectly synchronized subtitles, audio, and video tracks
… and of course, VLC lets you convert MP3. Clearly, it’s much more than a media player. All of this in mind, follow the steps below to convert your MP3 file to OGG using VLC Media Player.
- #1 – Download the software from VLC’s official website and install it.
- #2 – Open VLC Media Player and click the “Media” tab, and select “Convert/Save” from the drop-down menu.
- #3 – Press “Add…” to locate and select whichever MP3 file you need to convert.
- #4 – Click the arrow next to “Convert/Save” and choose the “Convert” option.
- #5 – A new window will appear. Use the “Profile” drop-down menu to select “Audio – Vorbis (OGG).”
- #6 – Choose a folder to save the converted file to by clicking “Browse” and selecting the appropriate location.
- #7 – Lastly click the “Start” button and VLC will begin the conversion. You can track the progress of it by looking at the time toolbar.
After the file has been successfully converted, you’ll find it in the designated folder. VLC is free to use, and although it isn’t primarily an MP3 to OGG converter, it gets the job done swiftly. Like UniConverter, expect long videos to take longer and be cautious of closing the program before it finishes converting!
Besides, here, you will find out the best VLC Alternative as well.
Top 3. FFmpeg
Our last entry is FFmpeg, another free converting tool which is very effective but is a little more complicated than other tools. FFmpeg offers screen recording, streaming, and converting capabilities. It can be used on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers, and supports pretty much any format and video/audio codecs. So, what makes it a complicated piece of software?
The interface uses a command-line interface as opposed to the expected graphic interface. Now, we urge you not to dismiss FFmpeg as a converter so quickly based on that sole factor. As tempting as that may be, the commands are relatively simple. To give you more proof that these commands aren’t worth shying away from, here’s a quick guide on using it:
- #1 – Download the suitable version of FFmpeg and install it on your computer.
- #2 – In a File Explorer window, open the folder containing the MP3 file.
- #3 – Right-click on a blank space and click the “Open a terminal here” option.
- #4 – Once the terminal appears, type the command below and press the Enter key:
- FFmpeg -i file.mp3 file.ogg
- #5 – After FFmpeg converts the MP3, the new file is accessible in the same folder.
Various settings can be written as part of the command. For example, if you wanted to change the bitrate of a file to 192 kbps and convert it to OGG, you can enter this command:
- FFmpeg -b 192 -i file.mp3 file.ogg
Likewise, changing the file name’s suffixes will change the formats. Let’s say there’s an MP4 file and you want to convert it to WAV instead:
- FFmpeg -i file.mp4 file.wav
By now you should realize that FFmpeg isn’t as scary as it seems. We can appreciate that a command-line MP3 to OGG converter is scary at first, but it’s actually quite easy to use.
Conclusion on MP3 to OGG Converter
All there’s left to do is choose a solution and convert MP3 to OGG! Wondershare UniConverter has a lot of features that enhance the conversion process, hence the reason it’s at the top of our list. That being said, VLC Media Player and FFmpeg are also good options. MP3 is and has been for years, above all other audio formats. It’s compatible with smartphones, all media players, and the majority of websites accept MP3 too. On occasion, though you might need OGG files instead and if the time comes, these converters are helpful.