Cannot print PDF and feel frustrated? Your frustration is over as we explain how to fix the issue using 05 practical solutions. Continue reading this guide and learn all those solutions to fix the issue on your own.
Being modern-day computer users, we tend to use PDF files more often than not. PDF format is very handy to transfer documents without affecting its original format. But what if you composed or received a very important PDF document and cannot print it? In many cases, we need our documents to be printed. So, in case if you cannot print PDF, read this guide and learn how to get it done.
Part 1: Reasons why you cannot print PDF
There are many cases in which you cannot necessarily print PDF files. As we believe, it is always better to know the reasons behind an issue before finding solutions to it. It can be probably due to an issue related to your hardware (such as a printer). Or, you cannot print PDF when there’s an issue related to the PDF file itself or the Adobe software. To give you a clearer idea about it, we have listed those issues below.
- You cannot print PDF if the cable of the printer is not connected properly. If the cable is loosened, the required commands cannot be passed to the printer by the computer. As a result, your PDF will not be printed.
- You cannot print PDF files or any other files if the drivers of your printer are outdated.
- The PDF file you try to print is either damaged or corrupted due to some reason.
- You are using an older version of Adobe Acrobat.
Part 2: Solutions to try if you cannot print PDF
As we mentioned just now, there are different issues that can prevent you from printing PDF. However, the good news is that it is totally possible to fix this error. If you are already experiencing this issue, you can go through the solutions and pick the best one.
01. Check if the drives of your printer are updated
Before everything else, you should check the drivers of your printer. If they are outdated, you cannot expect the printer to work properly. If the drivers are not updated, the device cannot communicate with the respective computer properly. Also, outdated software will not support newer versions of Acrobat Reader. So, you should check if the drivers are properly updated. If it is not, you should update it to the latest version. To update the drivers of your printer, you are supposed to follow the instructions mentioned below.
- First, please find the model number of the printer. Then, you should open the official website of the printer manufacturer to search for the drivers.
- Compare the drivers with the model number of your printer.
- Then, you should install the drivers according to the instructions provided on the screen. Please note that these steps might vary depending on the manufacturer.
- Once the installation is properly completed, you should restart the computer. Now, the device should work if the issue was related to the drivers.
02. Configure your printer as “Default” if you Cannot Print PDF
Another solution to address this issue is by setting the printer as “Default” and test. That will allow you to print the document easier. That will ensure that the document is automatically directed to the working printer immediately after giving the print command. In other words, you don’t have to select the printer every time when you want to print a PDF. This is a great time-saving option, especially for those who are busy. Well, you can follow the steps below to configure your printer as the “Default” option.
- First, click on the “Start Button” on the screen so you can launch the “Start Menu.” After that, you should enter the text “Control Panel” within the search box that appears. You should click on the icon to the Control Panel will be opened for configurations.
- Now, please click on “Devices and Printers” option after choosing the “Large Icons” option.
- You will see a dialog box that displays the images of the printers. Locate your printer from the list and mark it with a green tick to set it as default.
- If you don’t see such a mark on the printer, you should simply right-click on it. Then, from the popup menu, choose the option called “Set as Default Printer” to proceed.
That’s it. The printer with the green tick will start to function as the default printer from now on.
03. Check if the respective PDF file is corrupted
In certain cases, the PDF file itself can be the culprit. If it is damaged or corrupted, you cannot print PDF as expected. In fact, a PDF file can be damaged due to several reasons. To make sure the file is damaged, you should follow the instructions that are mentioned below.
- First, you should open the respective PDF file in the Google Chrome browser. Then, you should print it.
- If you cannot print the file using the Chrome browser as well, it might be corrupted already. If that is the case, you should find a way to repair the damaged PDF.
Those who don’t know how to fix a damaged PDF file can follow the instructions below to repair it.
- Did you create the respective PDF file by yourself? If that is the case, you should create the file once again. After creating it, save it on the local drive directly.
- However, have you downloaded the respective PDF file through a website or a cloud? If so, you should try downloading it again to the local drive.
Once you have done that, just try to print the file again and see if it works.
04. Update the PDF viewer or change it if you Cannot Print PDF
You may already know that it is required to have a PDF viewer to open any PDF document. Acrobat Reader is one of those common tools used to read PDF. In certain cases, you cannot necessarily print your PDF if the reader is not updated. In order to get this issue solved, you should update the PDF reader (Adobe Acrobat). If you don’t know how to install updates for Adobe Acrobat, you can use the steps mentioned below.
- First, you should launch Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat on your computer to proceed. Then, you should click on the menu labeled “Help” and click on the option called “Check for Updates.”
- You can then follow the onscreen steps displayed on the Updater window to install the updates. This option will allow you to complete a clean update.
If not, as an alternative, you can even consider changing the PDF viewer as well. If you want to do it smoothly, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to any of the PDF files you have on your computer and perform a right-click on it.
- Then, choose the option called “Properties” from the popup menu that comes up.
- You should now see a button called “Change.” Click on it, and you can choose Adobe Acrobat as the default application to open PDF hereafter.
05. If there are any print restrictions on the PDF, remove them
In some cases, users tend to secure their PDF documents using Permission Passwords for extra protection. As a result, certain actions associated with those PDF files might be restricted for users. For instance, users won’t be able to print, copy, edit, or even comment on those protected PDF files. If that is the case with your PDF files, you will not be able to print it. If you want to know how to remove those potential restrictions, you can follow the steps below.
● Remove the “Print Restriction” option using a password
If you already know the password which is used to protect the PDF file, the process is much easier. In that case, you can remove the password using Adobe Acrobat. You can follow the steps mentioned below and remove those restrictions.
- Launch the PDF file (which is required to print) in Adobe Acrobat to begin the process. Now, you should see a padlock sign in its left panel. Just click on it and choose “Permission Details,” which will open a new window.
- Now, you should select the button labeled “Change Settings.” You will have to enter the password at this point.
- Now, you should either remove or change the permissions password on the PDF file. You could print the PDF file now if the case was related to password protection.
Also, if you wonder how to Export iMessages to PDF, here are the top solutions for you.
How to remove Print Restriction if you don’t have the password?
The above steps become useful if you know the password of the protected PDF document. However, in certain cases, we forget those passwords. What if you have faced such an instance? Can you get rid of the restriction if you don’t have the password? Yes. You can do it. You can use Passper for PDF, which is reliable, friendly, and user-friendly. More importantly, this PDF password cracker tool can remove all the restrictions so you can comment, edit, print, and copy the content. It works very fast, and you can get the document unlocked, using only three easy steps.
Mentioned below is how to use Passper for PDF and remove the restrictions of PDF documents when you forgot PDF password.
First, you should launch the application called Passper for PDF. Once you have done that, you can select the option called “Remove Restrictions” located on the main page.
After importing the restricted document to the interface of Passper, click on the button labeled “Remove.”
All you need is to wait for about 03 seconds so you can remove the restrictions on the PDF. You can print that document without any hassle now.
If a PDF document is locked and protected, you may not be able to open the file. That means you cannot even view the content. If you happen to face such a situation, just rely on the feature called “Recovery” on Passper for PDF.
Well, those are the solutions you should try if you cannot print PDF as expected. If you have any other queries related to this matter, please let us know.