CamStudio is one of the most popular types of software that offers you a lot of different key features. It is one of the top screen capture tools that you can download for free. If you are on a lookout for a software that can easily perform tasks like screen capturing, CamStudio is highly recommended. The program can also convert and export video files that are recorded in .AVI format. CamStudio offers a lot of great features like video compression methods that can help with editing, high-quality recording option, and WebCam movie screen capture solutions. In this CamStudio review, we will go through some major aspects of the software like:
PS: If you would like to learn more about How to Record Screen on Windows 10, this is just for you.
|The software can be downloaded for free||There are only two output formats – .AVI and .SWF|
|CamStudio is an open-source software||The final size of the file might be too large|
|The program is extremely easy to understand and use||There are a lot of unwanted software that can pop up while the installation process is going on|
|There is no recording time limit||CamStudio can cost you a lot of your CPU’s resources|
- The software can be downloaded for free and is an open-source program. This means that you can download CamStudio for free and can make direct edits to the code. The open nature of the program makes sure that options and extensions are added to the code.
- CamStudio is also very user-friendly because it is very easy to understand the basics and use it, thereby making it perfect for beginners who are new to the world of screen recording. The setup process is very easy to understand; you also have the option of adding the audio later, recording the audio, recording for an extended period, and adding captions.
- Currently, CamStudio is only supported in the Windows OS. It also offers very limited editing options unless you install third-party extensions.
- When compared to its competitors, the editing capabilities in CamStudio has been stripped down to the minimal. For instance, you cannot use it directly to record in mobile devices without the help of a patch.
- If you are looking for something that can record the games you play, CamStudio is not such a great option. The only formats available are .AVI and .SWF.
- In the past, the CamStudio official website has also faced some security problems due to people downloading the software extensions that were infected with the Trojan virus.
What are the options that come with CamStudio?
In this part of the CamStudio review, we will see some of the many ranges of controls offered by CamStudio. Apart from starting, pausing and stopping videos, there are a lot of options that you can use when you are working, whether it is a video project or an audio one. Depending on the nature of your project, the options will be different for each case. For instance, the video options are not similar to the audio ones and can be used independently.
When you are working on a video, you will see a lot of options offered by the CamStudio codec for different things like the best compression, the quality you want, etc. Better than that, you also get to choose the frame rate of the screen recording. All these options can be auto-managed to save you from the trouble of setting them over and over again. Additionally, the one-click button is also provided to change the format of the recording to whatever you prefer. You can choose to record in .SWF, .MP4, or .AVI format even before you hit the record button.
Mouse cursor option
There is nothing much about the cursor option apart from choosing whether you want to hide or show the cursor while the screen is being recorded. But, you get the option to display a customized cursor. The customized cursor can be your favorite cursor that is not available for the Windows operating system but can be loaded on CamStudio without much hassle. You can also lay emphasis on the cursor by enabling the visual click feedback or simply highlighting it. You are also given a choice to customize the mouse buttons with different colors so that the viewer can know which button is being pressed.
This concerns the audio from either the system speakers or the microphone. CamStudio offers you the option to include both the audio sources in the recording or simply use any one of them. The audio can also be captured while the recording goes on or can be eliminated from it. If you choose the option of recording the audio from your microphone, you can choose to let it play with the source you use and set the recording format, volume levels, compression format, or simply incorporate the video and the audio as it is.
If you opt to record via the system audio, you can choose among many different options such as configure the recording time, adjust the playback volume, choose the sound device to use, etc. for the best capture. On a more interesting note, CamStudio also offers you the freedom to configure the synchronization between the audio and the video. Depending on the settings you put in, CamStudio will help match both in the final output.
What are the tools provided by CamStudio?
In this part of the CamStudio review, we will read about the tools offered by CamStudio.Perhaps, the best part about CamStudio is annotations. In fact, there is a separate dialog box that is dedicated to annotations. These annotations can either be screen or video. Screen annotation option includes transparency, images, text, and shapes. All of them can be applied in different layouts, depending entirely on your personal preferences.
On the other hand, video annotations work with your system’s webcam and let you select the video source to be used. It also lets you adjust several factors like sharpness, saturation, contrast, brightness, etc. Additionally, you also get to choose camera control options such as roll, pan, tilt, iris, exposure, focus, and zoom. These video annotations applied can be transparency, images, texts, and even the option to change the refresh rate; the refresh rate will be dependent on your Windows computer’s specs.
One another tool that needs to be mentioned is the SWF Producer. This is a tool that helps you convert all your .AVI files into Flash videos, without the need to an external converter software. A lot of resources and time can be saved with the help of this feature. SWF files are friendly, mean, and lean when it comes to bandwidth usage.
As far as the effects are of concern, CamStudio provides them in the annotations form. However, they are quite different from the ones mentioned previously. In this part of the CamStudio review, below are some of the effects that you can make use of:
- Applying watermarks on the video
- Including captions and subtitles
- Adding the Xnote timestamp
- Adding the system timestamp
This part of the CamStudio review will show you how you can use CamStudio:
- 1. First, you need to install two different files that include the program itself and the codec as well.
- 2. Once you are set with both the files and installed the program, run CamStudio and click on the record button to start recording your screen in .AVI format.
- 3. You can choose which area of the screen that you want to record.
- 4. You need to select the final resolution that you would like the video to be in.
- 5. When you are done with the recording, you can make use of the drop-down menu to hit the stop button. Once the recording stops, you can save the video in a safe location that can be accessed by you.
Perhaps, the most problematic part with CamStudio is that it has quite a restrictive nature when it comes to the output and qualities that can be used by you.
Hence as an alternative, you have a lot of different screen capture tools that you can use. One of these options is the Wondershare Filmora, a software that allows you to record your screen for absolutely free. Apart from recording in top-notched quality, the program is very easy to use and understand and offers free record options like WebCam; you will also be given tons of free media resources that you can use to make your video stand out.